What you need
800g CADBURY Baking Milk Chocolate, broken into pieces
3 cups caster sugar
2 cups water
300g butter, chopped
2/3 cup CADBURY BOURNVILLE Cocoa
1 teaspoon bicarbonate soda
4 eggs, lightly beaten
2 teaspoons vanilla
3 cups Self-Raising Flour
370g jar strawberry or raspberry jam
110g packets CADBURY Dark Flake Sprinkles
2 punnets strawberries or raspberries, for decoration
Icing sugar, for dusting
1. HEAT the cream in a saucepan and bring just to the boil. Immediately pour over the chocolate melts and whisk vigorously to combine. Stand at room temperature to cool and firm. Refrigerate until required, but will require time standing to soften before using.
2. COMBINE sugar, water, butter, cocoa and bicarbonate soda in a saucepan and warm, but do not boil, stirring until the sugar has dissolved and the butter has melted. Transfer mixture to a bowl and cool for 30 minutes. Beat in the eggs and vanilla. Stir in the flour and mix well. Divide and pour into 2 greased and base-lined 24cm round cake pans.
3. BAKE in a moderate oven 180°C for 40 minutes or until cooked. Cool for 10 minutes before turning onto a wire rack to cool completely. Using a serrated knife cut each cake in half horizontally, trimming if necessary to produce 4 even layers.
4. PLACE 1 cake layer onto a serving plate. Spread with some jam and ganache. Continue layering with another 2 layers of cake, jam and ganache. Finish with the remaining cake layer then spread the top and sides with the remaining ganache. Use a palate knife to coat the sides of the cake with the Flake Sprinkle. Chill.
5. DECORATE with berries, a dusting of icing sugar and some Christmas baubles if desired. Serve immediately.
TIP: If making in advance, allow the cake to sit at room temperature for an hour prior to serving to soften.
This classic chocolate layer cake is sure to be a hit at any family celebration.