What you need
1¾ cups sultanas
1 cup raisins
1/3 cup glace cherries, quartered
2/3 cup brandy
¼ cup honey
125g butter, softened
¾ cup brown sugar
3 eggs, lightly beaten
¾ cup flour
1/3 cup CADBURY Bournville Cocoa
¼ cup SR flour
½ teaspoon cinnamon
¾ cup blanched almonds, chopped
100g CADBURY Baking Dark Chocolate Chips
Icing sugar, for dusting
Apricot jam, melted and cooled slightly
1egg white, beaten
1. COMBINE the dried fruits, cherries, brandy and honey in a bowl and set aside.
2. CREAM together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Gradually beat in the eggs, beating well between each addition. Fold in the sifted dry ingredients then stir through the fruit, nuts and chocolate until combined.
3. ROLL half the marzipan into a 23cm circle on an icing sugar dusted board. Spoon half of the cake mixture into a greased and base lined 23cm spring form pan. Top with marzipan circle then spoon over the remaining mixture.
4. BAKE in a moderately slow oven 170°C for 30 minutes. Reduce the heat to 150°C and cook for a further 1 -1¼ hours or until cooked when tested. Allow to cool on a wire rack for 30 minutes before releasing from pan to cool completely.
5. BRUSH the top of cooled cake with apricot jam. Roll half of the remaining marzipan into a 15-16cm circle on an icing sugar dusted board, then pattern the edges with a teaspoon. Place the marzipan circle on top of cake. Make 11 balls with remaining marzipan and use egg white to stick to the edge of the marzipan circle. Store in an airtight container.
Try our twist to the traditional Simnel cake. This is a light fruit cake, similar to a Christmas cake, covered in marzipan, and eaten during the Easter period in the United Kingdom and Ireland.