What you need
250g butter, softened
2/3 cup brown sugar
½ cup golden syrup
2 eggs, lightly beaten
3½ cups plain flour
½ cup SR flour
½ cup CADBURY Bournville Cocoa
2 tablespoons ginger
2 teaspoons mixed spice
2 teaspoons bicarbonate soda
150g CADBURY Baking White Chocolate, melted and cooled
70g CADBURY Baking White Chocolate, extra, grated
1 egg white, whisked until frothy
1½ - 2 cups icing sugar, sifted
140g The Natural Confectionery Co. Tangy Bliss, for decorating
180g pkt CADBURY Mini Drops, for decorating
Extra mixed lollies, for decorating
1. BEAT the butter, sugar and golden syrup with an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Gradually beat in the eggs, beating well between each addition. Add the sifted flours, cocoa, spices and bicarbonate soda and stir until just combined. Lightly knead on a floured surface and then roll out to a ½ cm thickness.
2. USING a knife, cut 6 panels as per the template: 2 x roof, 2 x sides, 2 x ends and place on lightly greased baking trays.
3. BAKE in a moderate oven 180°C for 10 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool on trays for five minutes and then remove to a wire rack to cool completely. Store in an airtight container until required.
4. SPOON one third of the chocolate into a piping bag fitted with a fine plain nozzle and pipe windows onto the sides and end panels. Allow to set. Spread the remaining chocolate and whatever is left in the piping bag onto the roof panels then sprinkle liberally with grated chocolate. Allow to set.
5. GRADUALLY whisk the icing sugar into the egg white until smooth and thick enough to pipe. Spoon the icing into a piping bag with a 3mm plain nozzle. Use icing to assemble (stick together) gingerbread house, then decorate with lollies and allow to set. Lightly cover in plastic wrap to protect from dust and insects until required.
Download the house template.
Chocolate gingerbread is the perfect biscuit to use to make a delightful centrepiece for your Christmas table. Donﾒt forget little hands will love to help!