What you need
11⁄3 cups pitted dates, roughly chopped
1¼ cups water
1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
60g butter, softened
¾ cup caster sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1¼ cups SR flour
125g CADBURY Baking Dark Chocolate Chips
¼ cup macadamia nuts, roasted and roughly chopped
1 cup brown sugar
250g PHILADELPHIA Light Spreadable Cream Cheese
100g butter, extra
½ teaspoon vanilla
Cream or ice cream
1. COMBINE the dates and water in a saucepan and bring to the boil. Remove from the heat and stir in bicarbonate of soda. Cool.
2. CREAM together the butter, sugar and vanilla with an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Gradually add the eggs beating well between each addition, then fold in the date mixture, flour, chocolate and nuts. Pour the mixture into a greased and lined 20cm square cake pan.
3. BAKE in a moderately slow oven 160°C for 40–45 minutes or until cooked and golden. Stand for 10 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack. Cool.
4. COMBINE the brown sugar, PHILLY, extra butter and vanilla in a small saucepan. Whisk over a low heat until smooth then simmer for 5 minutes until slightly thickened.
5. SERVE the pudding drizzled with butterscotch sauce and a dollop of cream.
For a slightly less decadent dessert, remove the chocolate chips.
A classic all-year round dessert with a deliciously wicked real chocolate twist!