What you need
1 cup water
1½ cups caster sugar
1⁄3 cup CADBURY Bournville Cocoa
½ teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1 teaspoon vanilla
1½ cups SR flour, sifted
250g PHILADELPHIA Block Cream Cheese, softened
2 tablespoons caster sugar, extra
1 teaspoon gelatine dissolved in 1½ tablespoons boiling water
100g CADBURY Baking Dark Chocolate, melted and cooled slightly
½ cup thickened cream, softly whipped
½ x 680g jar sour cherries, drained and liquid reserved
50g CADBURY Baking Dark Chocolate, extra, grated
2 tablespoons kirsch or cherry flavoured liqueur
1⁄3 cup caster sugar, extra
1. COMBINE the water, sugar, butter, cocoa and bicarbonate of soda in a saucepan and warm, but do not boil, stirring until the sugar has dissolved and the butter has melted. Transfer mixture to a bowl and cool for 30 minutes. Beat In the eggs and vanilla then stir in the flour and mix well. Pour into a greased and lined 24cm round cake pan.
2. BAKE in a moderate oven 180°C for 55–60 minutes or until cooked when tested. Stand for 10 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack. Cool.
3. BEAT the PHILLY and extra 2 tablespoons caster sugar with an electric mixer until just smooth. Add the gelatine and chocolate and mix until combined then fold through the whipped cream, drained cherries and grated chocolate.
4. USE a large serrated knife to split the cake in half horizontally. Brush the cut sides of the cake with kirsch. Place a cake layer, kirsch side up in a paper lined 24cm round springform pan. Spread the cheesecake mixture evenly over the cake then top with remaining cake layer, kirsch side down. Chill for 4 hours or overnight.
5. COMBINE the reserved cherry liquid and remaining sugar in a saucepan and bring to the boil, stirring occasionally until the sugar has dissolved. Simmer until reduced by half. Chill.
6. STAND cheesecake at room temperature for 30 minutes before serving. Slice and serve with a drizzle of cherry sauce. Serve immediately.
TIP: The sponge can be made ahead of time and frozen (unfilled) for up to a month. Piece of cake!
A deliciously chocolate layered cream cake swirled with cherries ﾖ or any berries of your liking, for that matter ﾖ perfect to squish between two of your favourite sponge cake, biscuits or wafers.